Temporary Graduate Visa allows overseas graduates who have completed 2 years of academic to live, study and work in Australia. This is to meet the Australian business needs with the relevant skills and qualifications of the applicants.
Extension of the Temporary Graduate Visa (485) Post Study Work Rights for Higher Education Students
- From 1 July 2023 the Australian Government will increase the duration of stay for some Temporary Graduate visas (subclass 485)
- Addressing skills shortages in key industries and rebuilding the international education sector.
- Graduates with a Bachelor, Honours or Masters degree will be eligible for a visa with a further two year validity if their qualification is listed on the Department of Education’s ‘Eligible Qualifications List (EQL)’.
- All doctoral graduates will be eligible for a further two year validity.
- More details will be provided on eligibility and how to apply for the extended Temporary Graduate Visa closer to 1 July 2023.
Transitional arrangements are also in place to support other graduates
- Temporary Graduate visa holders in Australia whose visas expired or will expire between 1 September 2022 and 1 July 2023, or Temporary Graduate visa holders who were in Australia throughout the pandemic period and are therefore not eligible for the TGV Replacement stream, may be eligible for the COVID-19 Pandemic Event (subclass 408) visa with a 2-year stay period. You must be working in Australia or have an offer of employment.
- You must apply 90 days before your TGV expires, or 28 days after your TGV expires to be eligible for a Pandemic event visa.
- If you are granted a 408 Pandemic Event visa, you will not be eligible to then apply separately for an extended TGV. You should evaluate your options carefully before you apply.
- Removal of occupation nomination and skills assessment requirements for Temporary Graduate visa Graduate Work stream applicants
- The requirement to nominate an occupation from the skilled occupation list and obtain a skills assessment for Temporary Graduate visa Graduate Work stream applications has been removed. This applies to applications lodged between 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023.