General Skilled Migration (GSM) is part of Australia’s skilled migration program. Through this program , it allows applicants with in-demand skills to migrate to Australia without an employer sponsor.
Under the General Skilled Migration program, applicant can choose to pursue the stream that best suits their situation.
- Subclass 189 Skilled Independent (points test) Visa
- This visa is a permanent residency for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, state or territory or sponsored by family members
- Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated Visa
- This visa is a permanent residency for skilled workers who are sponsored by a state along with their family members (spouse / defacto partner and their children) .
- In order to apply for Subclass 190, the applicant needs to submit an Expression Of Interest choosing a specific state that they have in mind (provided that their skill code is available in that state)
- Some states requires the applicant to submit Registration of Interest
- Upon getting invited by the state, the applicant then can submit the necessary documents to the state
- Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa
- The latest visa that was introduced in 2019 to replace subclass 489 visa.
- Similar to Subclass 190
- Applicant need to live and work in regional Australia for 5 years and can apply for PR after 3 years from the time that the visa is granted
- Regional Places in Australia is the whole of Australia except for Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney
- stay in Australia permanently
- work and study
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, become an Australian citizen
To be eligible for GSM, applicants need to be in an occupation that is listed on one of the three skilled occupation lists.
The three lists are:
- MLTSSL – Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List
- Occupations included in the MLTSSL list are eligible to apply for Subclasses 189, 190 and 491.
- Some of the examples of MLTSSL are Accountant (General), Aeronautical Engineer, Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic, Music Director, Management Consultant, Carpenter and Joiner
- STSOL- Short-term Skilled Occupation List
- Occupations included in the STSOL list are eligible to apply for Subclasses 190 and 491
- Some of the examples of STSOL : Flower Grower, Finance Manager, Cafe or Restaurant Manager, Copywriter, ICT Customer Support Officer
- ROL- Regional Occupation List
- Occupations included in the ROL list are eligible to apply for Subclass 491.
- Some of the examples of ROL: Procurement Manager, Aeroplane Pilot, Translator, Dental Therapist
In order to be eligible for any of these visas, one need to have:
- Qualifications and/or work experience
- A skills assessment
- A suitable level of English language skills
- Meet the points test requirements
- Lodge an expression of interest
- Be approved for state/territory or regional nomination if required
- Be invited to apply for a visa
Applicants will need to have a competent level of English Language Skills in order to meet the requirements for General Skilled Migration.
Types of English Tests available for the program :