Skilled Migration

Visa Requirements:

Have required level of English language (unless exempt)

Have relevant qualifications or work experience

Hold relevant registration & licensing

You are less than 45 years old

You are of good health

You are of good character

Benefits of Skilled Migration

  • Live and work permanently in Australia
  • Pay local education fees for children
  • Medicare benefits
  • Access certain social security payments
  • Apply for Australian citizenship
  • Sponsor family members for permanent residence

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

This is a permanent residence visa intended for persons who have skills which are in demand in Australia’s labour market. This is one most common pathways to migrate to Australia.

  • This visa gives you Permanent Residence
  • Does not require sponsorship by a relative or state/territory government
  • You can live and work anywhere in Australia
  • You need a pass mark of 65 points which are based on your age, English language skills, skilled employment history, qualifications, partner skills, and other relevant factors

State Nominated Visa (subclass 190)

This is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers. Applicants for this visa can obtain additional 5 bonus points as a result of having a State or Territory sponsor.

  • This visa gives you Permanent Residence
  • Requires sponsorship by state/territory of Australia
  • Pass mark is 65, based on your age, English language skills, skilled employment history, qualifications, partner skills, state sponsorship points and other relevant factors. Invitations under this subclass will be issued by a State/Territory based on each occupation category. Applicants with the highest points within each category will be offered the first invitations. Therefore, the aim is to score as many points as possible.

Skilled Regional Sponsored (subclass 491)

This is a Temporary Residence Visa for individuals who have the qualifications and skills, but are unable to meet the pass mark required to obtain a Skilled Independent or Skilled Sponsored Visa.

This visa gives you Temporary Residence for 5 years. Thereafter, there is a pathway to Permanent Residence. Holders of this visa are permitted to apply for a Permanent Residence Visa after they have lived for 3 years and worked for at least 3 years in a Specified Regional Area.

  • You have to be nominated by a state/ territory or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area in Australia
  • You must live, work or study in a specified regional area in Australia, during the Temporary Residence Visa
  • Pass mark 65 points

Which relative can sponsor you?

Your child, parent, sibling, niece/nephew, aunt/uncle, first cousin or grandparent can do so.


How do you qualify for state nomination?

You must satisfy specific criteria, as set by the particular State or Territory.